Thursday, July 30, 2009

Expat Wife does NYC - Day 1



One of my sorority sisters from college, Jami Stig, had the most amazing wedding in New York City last weekend. The ceremony, the reception, it was all "Jami and Joe", but the best part was getting the chance to see all my friends and hangout in NYC.

I flew in on Wednesday and went straight to Summer's apartment in Washington Heights. Summer is my former boss' daughter, a kindergarten teacher, and an amazing opera singer. If you need an opera singer for anything, let me know and I will get you two in touch. We chatted, ate, and drank wine - just catching up.

This was a wonderful start, relaxing. Because the rest of the weekend was non-stop!
First stop in NYC . . . Bra shopping with Linda the Bra Lady.
Dinah, Summer, and I all got some great new bras thanks to Linda's Ladies. If you are ever in New York you have to go there, it's on Lexington. It is so true that most women are wearing the wrong size, and these experts will have your girls looking good!

Bra shopping makes a girl hungry. So, Dinah took us to one of her and Jami's favorite places for Aerapas. If you don't know what these are, you're not alone. They are corn cakes filled with all sorts of goodies. This one is chicken, avocado, and Chimichiri (I totally spelled that wrong). It's in the East Village and so close to a great cupcake shop!


Butter Lane has the tastiest cupcakes I have ever eaten. I highly recommend the Chocolate with Peanut Butter icing and the Espresso Cupcake.

Just when you thought all we were gonna do is eat our way thru the city - we decided to mix it up a bit and go shopping. We hit Fab 208, an absolutely mah-velous re-purposed vintage store that Dinah turned me onto. The owners are inked and fabulous! On official Maid of Honor duties we accompanied Dinah in picking up the veil from the veil maker (yes her entire store was veils and headpieces!!!). We tried them all on and had a grand ole time. Next stop, Cloak and Dagger where we met the designer and chatted fashion thru a rainstorm.

Once the rain subsided we headed up to the hotel to drop off Jami's veil and Summer went home to rest and relax. Dinah and I then ventured on to torture small dogs.Meet Darcy.
This picture says it all. My apologies to Linda, Darcy's mom. In our defense, she did seem very interested in that strapless bra!

Well it had been almost an hour since we ate . . .

So on to Lombardi's for
THE BEST PIZZA EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have to admit something embarrassing, I watch Gossip Girl. Not only do I watch it, I love it! So on the show the are always going to this place called Pinkberry. It just so happens there is one near Lombardi's so of course we had to eat again.

Mmmmmmm FroYo!

We hopped into a taxi and hot-footed it to Jersey Boys where we met up with Jami, aka Mrs. Andosca, and some of the wedding party, family, and friends. Living overseas I am constantly reminded of what a small world it really is. To prove me right once again, my friend from waaaaayyy back, Heather Ferguson, happens to be in Jersey Boys!!! Heather reminded me of her first role in a play. It was as a squirrel in Snow White. Her oldest sister Jenna played the lead role and I was the evil queen Brangomare (yeah, I bet none of you knew what her real name was!). I think I was 14 or 15 when we did that show and Heather is one year younger. I guess I really can say, "I knew her when . . . "


If you haven't seen or heard of Jersey Boys, I'm sorry. It was a spectacular evening. The show is the story of Frankie Valli and the Four Season, complete with all the hits that you know and love. I told my father, this is one Broadway show he could even stay awake through (if you know him, you know that means a lot).

Hanging out at the stage door with Heather was only made more exciting by the first real-life street fight I have ever seen that happened mere feet from us. It was so enjoyable to watch, mostly because they were drunk imbeciles, but also because even after the cops came and the "Perps" ran for it, they circled around the block for more. After an hour or so of that repetition, I finally grabbed a cab back to "The Heights" to rest and prepare for another day in New York!

1 comment:

  1. I love that Darcy made the blog. I sent the link to Linda and for anyone wondering about the food....It is Venezuelan food at a restaurant called Caracas. Yummmmy! We also had a corn pancake with cheese and meat called a cachapa. Highly recommend it! -dinah

    ReplyDelete