Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Skiing in China

As some of you may know, Aaryn loves to ski.  This is a pastime that I have tried numerous times to master, and yet it still eludes me.  But, I have not given up…. And just because we have moved to a coastal city in China I am determined to make it look easy!
Enter Nanshan, a mostly man-made snow covered hill in the not so picturesque “mountains” surrounding Beijing, and the “must see” ski resort for yuppie Beijingers.  Well, we aren’t yuppie Beijingers, we live about 2 hours outside of Beijing, but we do like to try new and interesting places.  So, with a van full of friends, and our expectations low we left TEDA and headed to our adventure for the day.
It’s about a 2 ½ hour drive from our place, mostly freeway, but with a few donkey cart paths thrown in there for local color.  That was when I really felt guilty for talking everyone into giving up there Saturday to follow me on this crazy escapade.  But…..when we rounded the corner and saw the slopes, I lost all guilt, or at least some of it. There was snow!!! And several runs, not just a bunny slope! Yeehaw!!  We made it through getting our lift tickets, which include rentals, for about $25 USD.  
 
 
The most interesting part was explaining what skis you wanted without any knowledge of that part of the Chinese language….most everyone just took what they were given and they were happy.  But when do I ever choose the easy way?  I eventually explained to 15 of the 16 people behind the rental counter, with much pantomime of my skiing and falling and breaking a leg and an ambulance and etc…. that I needed the shortest skis that they had, because despite my now 5 years of experience, I still suck!!!  But eventually, with my excellent language skills, I got short skis….well, shorter skis.   I am pretty sure they will all remember that crazy la wei lady who laid down on the floor the next time I go there to rent skis.
We all did a few trail runs down the bunny slope, or as I like to call it suicide alley because of the sheer numbers of inexperienced skiers having yard sales left and right. After we all got our bearings the boys split off to go to the BLACK DIAMOND run at the top of the hill, while we sane ladies went on to a green run.  We all had an amazing time! And I only fell when I got plowed over by the chair lift ;)
After a few hours of skiing we all met up in the lodge, I use this term loosely, for a little lunch and a warm-me-up.  Then off we went to the “Sledge”.  It’s not a hammer, it’s actually a toob ride that hooks you to a “lift” that takes you to the top of a slop and then flings you down……the funnest thing ever!!!! And, yes, I know funnest isn’t a word, but there is no other way to describe “the Sledge”!
At sundown, we hopped back in the van, freezing, but having had a great day!  Nanshan….China’s Aspen!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds fun too- you guys are finding all kinds of cool things to do!! We are headed on our 3rd ski trip next month and its eluding me too Annie!! The kids, however, are awesome!

    ReplyDelete