Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Thailand Part 1

Thailand is an amazing country! We've just spent the most spectacular day here, it's almost hard to believe it happened....
We started off our perfect day with a ride off of Phuket, where we've been staying, to Phang-Nga to a wildlife sanctuary.  Once we got to "base camp" we set off on our first adventure - Elephant Trekking!

Our elephant, Comtak, was a hairy girl and our mahout was.... well, a hoot! He had us pose a million times trying to get just the right shot of us on our trusty steed.

Once back from our trek, we headed off to the river for some whitewater rafting! Now, anyone who knows me, probably knows that things like this aren't my bag.... I don't enjoy being at the mercy of nature, nor do i like when my rafting guide splashes me with icy cold water.  But... despite those set backs, I really loved it!!! I mean really!!! Even the splashing was fun!  I only had mild flashbacks to my last toobing debacle....but all in all, it was incident free.  Once it was done, I was sad that we had to get out of the river. An hour passed in the blink of an eye!

Rafting sure builds up an appetite! So we headed back to base camp for a delightful traditional Thai meal of soup and fish and rice and vegetables.... really yummy!!!!

After lunch, we hiked out to a waterfall.  A gorgeous waterfall! It was set back in a rock, so once you climbed inside it was really loud and the current pulled and pushed you in every direction.  We had a whole group of people, that we had met along the way, inside the rock formation all at one time, each taking our turn under the falls..... and only one guy lost his shorts!!!
 
 

Unfortunately, after the waterfall, it was time to head back to the island..... but tomorrow brings new adventures. Or, perhaps, a lazy day on the beach.... who knows?!?!?!

1 comment: